Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tis very currant, you know..........

All the cool kids seem to be planting fruit bushes lately, so here I am trying to keep up with currant trends !!

I planted three new fruit bushes in this bed of imported lime free soil. A redcurrant " Red lake ", a blackcurrant " Ben lomond " and a blueberry " Goldtraube ". My only previous experience with berries is the strawberries I grew last year in hanging baskets. They yielded some nice fruits and I now have about sixty new plants to find homes for after successfully rooting the runners !! Any unsuspecting visitors seem to leave with strawberry plants whether they want them or not !

The birds will be the biggest threat to the crop so I will net these prior to fruiting time. If time permits maybe a proper fruit cage will be constructed. I'm looking forward to harvesting these, and the muffins and pies that herself has promised to cook will be surely temptation to plant some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!