Monday, March 15, 2010

First earlies.

I dislike planting potatoes in raised beds, although I believe the beds to be a superior system for veg growing the earthing up of potatoes causes spatial problems due to the confines of the bed. Nevertheless against all common sense and reasoning ( you will see quite a bit of this here ) I went ahead and planted 5kg of Homeguard first earlies in this bed measuring thirty two feet by five feet.



I hoped to overcome the lack of space by digging deep into the bed and creating a flat furrow like area and then planting the seed a further five inches into this. The potatoes were planted a foot apart with a foot between rows.



When the time comes for earthing up I will simply level the soil across the bed, a further earthing up will entail drawing soil from the sides or importing some if the need arises. This will pain me !



There's a lot to be said for planting potatoes in open ground but due to a lack of space my options are limited. I will however be able to plant the rest of my crop in my uncles garden which has plenty of space but is a ten mile drive from here. Ya can't win em all I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!