Sunday, March 21, 2010

Power to the parsnip.

I think the parsnip is a hugely underrated winter veg. When exposed to a little hard weather the flavour actually improves and the humble parsnip can become one of the tastiest ingredients in any winter dish. Some guide books bring to our attention the erratic germinating habit of the parsnip while recommending a February sowing. Now I wouldn't be inclined to come out of hibernation myself in the frozen miserable ground of an Irish vegetable plot. Sow in March and watch those germination rates skyrocket !

Parsnips grow best in deep friable soil. Hitting a stone can cause the root to fork with many an interesting parsnip resulting. But truth be told they will grow successfully in most soil types. Pest and disease management is the same as for carrots, with the " divils " of rabbits and carrot root fly being the biggest culprits, while at seedling stage the slime ball slug brigade need constant attention. With Russell Crowe as this years inspiration I planted " Gladiator F1 " So I'm expecting big things from these guys.



I used two methods of sowing, just for the sheer hell of it ! Method one was started about five weeks ago indoors. I put three seeds into a toilet roll insert filled with compost covered with plastic and waited impatiently. I thinned out to one seedling per insert and removed the plastic allowing it to grow on. I then planted them out in raised beds at the weekend. Method two was the traditional sowing in rows an inch deep with about an inch between seeds to be thinned later. I warmed the ground with fleece for both methods and the seeds will be kept under fleece until germination at least. I deliberately kept the rows close together partly due to lack of space partly as an experiment. Most guide books recommend anything from a foot to two feet between rows , I went at nine inches, maybe I'll have smaller parsnips who knows ?



So that's it parsnips in, I will go with a single sowing this year and take the gamble of leaving them in the ground. It worked last year although one must watch them in case they try to regrow as this destroys the flavour. The battle lines are drawn, fresh ground to be conquered ...... " On my mark unleash hell !"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!