Sunday, July 11, 2010

Disaster strikes.

It can never be all plain sailing now can it and it's by our mistakes we learn right...... Ah balls !! I prefer the easy life as can be seen in my " relaxed " style of gardening. It all started back in late February when I decided to cheat and start some carrots off in trays to have an early crop. " It can't be done, they must be sowed direct " the experienced gardeners crowed. " Ha me arse " I thought " I'll show em " and now I'm showing you.

The unmitigated disaster that is my early carrots. I reckon that while transplanting into the ground I must have curled the roots and somehow created these mutants, lets face it they're probably still edible, but would ya ?



" To the compost heap Giles and don't spare the horses ", or in this case the carrots !!



Then to add insult to injury the wind flattened my already wavy borage.



And then much to my now mounting pile of dismay my cornflowers got such a twisting from the storm that when I went to right them up they came away in my hand !! In a vain attempt to salvage my dignity I quickly bunched some together, put them in a vase ( actually a jug, but I'm a man ) and presented them to the lovely Mrs Foxylock. She criticised my flower arranging skills ( I'm a man ) said " twas fierce mean looking " and poked fun at the floppy ones. I became highly insulted, a tad embarrassed and vowed never again to flower arrange. From now on it's only manly stuff for me......

I start my crochet class next week !!



The casualties.



Just to end on a happy note my poor neglected roses are putting on a good show. Why are they neglected pray tell ? That's a whole other story. But I will indulge, maybe not today , maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have dumped your carrots because they do not meet the EU 'straight carrot directive!Taste is what counts always.It could have been stoney ground or too fresh manure or a hundren and one other things as carrots seem to be choosey we are keeping our fingers crossed for ours.
    The cornflowers die off quickly but the new shoots should be showing through at ground level.
    Your potato field is very impressive!!Envy inducing almost (definitely!)
    We win some and lose some but keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it's no excuse my temper got the better of me, but it represents less than one tenth of my total sowing of carrots. Funnily enough there is no manure in that bed and the soil is relatively stone free. I think I somehow angered the carrot god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like carrots with character! I wondered why you shouldn't start carrots off in trays...now we know why!

    Ach sure we all have those days in the garden...it makes the successes more delicious! Enjoy the crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want to get those carrots eaten, or the Carrot Gods will be severely angry.

    I often find that sacrificing a noisy child appeases the Root Vegetable Deities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Byddi heres hoping for some success !! As for the character I prefer plain old easay to peel veg.

    I.G. A noisy child eh, I know where I can get one of them. But if I sacrifice him who will get my slippers, put coal on the fire, feed the dogs, etc. You have put me in a right old dilemma !!

    ReplyDelete

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!