Monday, April 26, 2010

King of the sunflowers.

The above title is not a reference to myself ( although we'll see by years end ) the variety of sunflower I have chosen this year is called " Kong " and hopefully it will live up to it's name. This giant branching sunflower can apparently attain a height of fourteen feet and with flower heads an awesome twenty centimetres in diameter ! I sowed these guys on the twenty sixth of February and the tallest are approaching the two foot mark already. I will probably put them in the ground in the next week or so and hopefully they will take off. As with last year the staking is always a pain in the ass job, and last year my sunflowers only reached nine feet !!



The record for tallest sunflower is currently twenty five feet, five and a half inches. Largest head is thirty two and a quarter inches in diameter. And most flowers is eight hundred and thirty seven flowers on a single plant. I Don't think I'll trouble those records anyway especially not with my " Firewalker " as I failed to germinate a single seed. Damn amateurs !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!