Monday, April 12, 2010

The hide and seek champion !!

Introducing the All-Ireland hide and seek champion, the humble parsnip. I found this guy lurking beneath a fleece in a bed full of turnip seedlings I had recently sowed. The suspicious bulge was mistaken for a weed but on further investigation, What did I pull out ? an almost two foot long parsnip !! Sadly it was covered in rust and the slugs had taken the better part of it rendering it inedible. Still it proves that parsnips if left in the ground over winter will regrow in the spring.



I don't know how I missed it as the bed was dug over twice during winter and again when the compost was added and then raked and prepared as a seed bed ! Osama Bin Laden wouldn't have a patch on this guy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!