Monday, April 26, 2010

Early cabbage.

Today I was able to plant out some " Golden acre " early cabbage in one of the brassica beds. Unfortunately the slugs have been gorging themselves on some of the previously planted cabbages, so much for my crushed egg shell mulch, but I shall persist.



I have some more in reserve that are not yet hardened off, but they should be ready in the next couple of weeks. I also potted on the " January king " winter cabbage, they seem to be coming along nicely but won't be going out for some time yet. In other brassica news, the brussels sprouts that I took a chance and planted out early are doing just fine, the swede seedlings are thinned and growing good but the slugs have nearly wiped out the turnip seedlings so I must sow again this week. You win, you lose, I guess !!



I also net these beds as there is an amorous couple of wood pigeons about at the moment and they only seem interested in courting and raiding my garden........... Ahhh, reminds me of my youth !!

2 comments:

  1. Slugs and pigeons are waiting for those tender brassicas to make an appearance every year.I net them the day they go out as I know if I leave it a day or two they get there before me.All of your plants are a good size and with a bit of milder weather they will take off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howya Peggy, I use the nets as well even though they look horrid. I sometimes wonder why I plant cabbage at all as I'm the only cabbage eater in the house. It's a treat when cooked properly though.

    ReplyDelete

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!