Wednesday, August 11, 2010

" I collect heads you know "

Collecting heads makes me sound like Ireland's answer to Ted Bundy, but although I did consider wearing one as a hat, this is where the similarity ends. Or does it ? This year I have quite a lot of sunflowers and most of them are of the branching type giving up to ten heads per plant. A huge amount of sunflower seeds were in danger of going to waste as I couldn't possibly set them all or use them for food. There would be a genuine danger of me growing feathers and moving to an aviary. Which when considered in more detail doesn't sound all that bad. But in the meantime my plan for the seeds is to dry and keep them until the weather turns harsher and the food for birds becomes scarce. Then I intend to mount the heads on poles ( a bit of medieval inspiration here ) and let the birds do the rest. The heads hanging from the rafters in the garage have a slightly macabre element to it, but when winter comes the birds should have a veritable feast on a stick ! So if you grow sunflowers consider the birdies.

Even if you don't grow sunflowers consider the birdies.

3 comments:

  1. Well Jim, I believe nothing clicks together as nicely as Ted Bundy and animal welfare. Sadly, my sense of humour clicks in just as effectively ;-)
    Now I do grow sunflowers, mostly to lighten up the dreary looking potager, and even though I usually overfeed my garden birdies with all sorts of seeds and bacon deeds, which makes them barely able to fly in early spring, I have never thought of such an inventive way to add a touch of macabre to my already cadaverously chocked up garage. All in all, I find the last line of your post formidable enough to keep me smiling for the rest of the night :-)) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viooltje, if it's macabre you want, i fear you have stumbled upon it's source !!! ( insert manic laughter here .... )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are right and i agree with your post..
    Thanks for sharing..Flowering Trees Tennessee

    ReplyDelete

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!