Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The first of the sunflowers.

Of all the flowers in my garden it's the sunflower that captivates me the most. It's sheer dominance, not just in size but in radiance seems to draw the eye like a magnet and I cannot leave the house any morning without pausing to admire this years first sunflower. Plus there's the suspense and anticipation since sowing on the 26th of February, the worry about pests, drought and more recently wind .......... Yes I know, I don't get out much !!



Heading for the seven foot mark and yet only four and a half months old, the second sowing has almost caught up with the first despite a four week interval.



Here's a strange looking fellow " Spilanthes acmella " or toothache plant also known as eyeball plant or peek-a-boo. Apparently it helps to improve digestion, eases nausea and has strange numbing properties if sucked or chewed. I shall try to trick the wife into trying it, will keep you posted !!



Here's a fight to the life between some violas and some apricot shimmers, sounds like a showband from the sixties ...... Introducing .... THE APRICOT SHIMMERS !!! Technically speaking it's a " Mesembryanthemum bellidiformis " but that's a horrid mouthful ..... shimmers it is then. Interestingly I planted no violas this year and I am overrun with them. Mother nature helping out in the recession I suppose.



And this cheery little bunch are Mexican daisies again a mouthful " Erigeron karvinskianus profusion ". And profusion is quite apt as these lads just keep on flowering. The flowers start out white and then slowly turn pink giving all the colours in between on a single plant. Flowering until October they represent great value for money ( even though the packet of seed was a euro )



Nemophila menziesii var. discoidalis " Pennie black " quite a contrast to a sunflower !!

3 comments:

  1. I love sunflowers and always stop to admire, we have some growing on the plot but not nearly as tall as yours!
    I can never remember the proper names of plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sunflowers for the first time and I am enjoying watching them tower over every thing else. Yours are very pretty!
    I really like the Mexican Daisies!! I will have to look for those. I found your blog on the Idiot Gardner's Blog Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Peggy the names dont matter as long as the plant thrives.

    Welcome Amy sunflowers are the best for rewarding growth. I G has quite a good blog going over there, very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Go on you're here now you might as well get it off your chest !!